Wednesday 19 March 2014

Spring has Sprung

While out and about in Church Crookham yesterday tree surveying, I couldn't help but notice how many trees and scrub were coming in to flower. There are some really showy Magnolia's and Cherries in private gardens, and Blackthorn, Goat Willow, Apple, Pear and Cherry in hedgerows and on Hart-owned spaces. 

One of my favourites is the Japanese Cherry with pink, double flowers. This is Prunus serrulata 'Kanzans'. 


Alongside other Cherries they look like sticks of Candy Floss with twice as many flowers. While not native, the flowers provide an important source of nectar in the early spring which encourages bees and butterflies to be drawn to them. I did notice a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly  on a Goat Willow flower but it flew off before I managed to get my camera to it. 

Many of the Cherries flowering now will bear fruit later on in the year. Some of these are quite edible although the native Cherry, Prunus avium, is incredibly sour and most people find them foul, however I am quite partial to these for some reason! 

Ranger Adam 

No comments:

Post a Comment